If you’re wondering where to stay in Milan for one night, we absolutely loved our experience at the Moxy Boutique Hotel. Steps from the airport, it’s the ideal location if you need to catch an early flight the next morning. It’s chic and edgy; a smart hotel and a digital nomad’s dream.
The hotel is across the parking lot of the Milan Malpensa Airport in Terminal 2. It saved us from having to pay for an expensive taxi just to get to a bed. A short walk across the street, and we were there.
If you do choose to go downtown, the MXP airport has quick and easy shuttle buses to the centre for €18 return trip.
It’s supposed to be a “budget” hotel but they offer a lot of extras not normally found in cheap hotels.
Why I loved this hotel
- Each floor of the entire hotel smells like herbal essences.
- It’s digital nomad-friendly. USB outlets and charging stations for at least 3 devices and super fast Wifi (not just in your room).
- High tech. There are lights around the bed that light up, say, when you get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom or if you’re an early riser. It’s almost like an intelligent sensor so you can see in the dark and there’s no need to turn on bright lights that will wake the other person. The shower temperature warms up right down to the degree instead of the standard hot and cold knobs.
- They’re social. They regram your pics on the giant screen TV in the cafe. I’m not sure why but it’s exciting to see your photo on there. There’s also no phone in the rooms – they like “face time”.
- Naked men ironing. Naked men.
- Frothy cappuccinos.
- $60 USD cost per night is extremely affordable compared to other airport hotels
What I didn’t like as much
I would have liked to have breakfast included (it’s an extra 10 euros when you book) but I did enjoy my double cappuccino fix every morning. If I didn’t have a short one-day layover I don’t think I would have stayed here, only because of the distance from the city centre. However, Moxy is about to launch in more hub cities like London, Oslo, Munich, Berlin, and Frankfurt with a new US launch soon – I hope they will consider opening them in more central locations.
I really loved this new, chic, European brand of hotels for budget savvy travellers in the digital generation (kudos to the Marriott for the innovative concept). The slogan on the Moxy website is “we’re not what you’re used to” which is definitely a pleasant change from some of the hotels that are out there now. I am happy to finally see a modern brand of hotels for the 21st century that makes staying in a hotel actually fun and affordable.